SENIOR ADVISOR for Indonesia
Support to the Implementation of the Tri-national Sulu-Sulawesi Marine Ecoregion Comprehensive Action Plan(SSME) Project
The Sulu-Sulawesi Marine Ecoregion (SSME) or Sulu-Sulawesi Seascape (SSS) is a Priority Seascape located in the western Indo Pacific region at the apex of the Coral Triangle covering 1 million km² of marine and terrestrial areas in Indonesia (North Sulawesi and East Kalimantan), Malaysia (Sabah) and the Philippines. The three countries are already collaborating under the SSME Comprehensive Action Plan (CAP) on the promotion of climate smart projects in the SSME region which explicitly take into account the protection of biodiversity.
The overall project goals are to support a) climate-smart spatial development planning in the SSME countries and b) the implementation of selected elements of the SSME Comprehensive Action Plan (CAP) which take explicitly into account bi- or tri-national collaboration. The SSME Comprehensive Action Plan (CAP) closely follows national priorities, plans and programs of the three countries and their international commitments, incorporates climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies for the SSME, and is focused on the following goals: 1) Sustainable Fisheries and Enhancement of Livelihoods (led by Malaysia) 2) Protection of Threatened, Migratory and Charismatic Species (led by Indonesia) and 3) MPA and MPA Networks (led by the Philippines).
As the project approach is tri-national, the outputs of this project will be easy to replicate in the three countries of the SSME as well as the larger Coral Triangle Region in which they are embedded. This can serve as model to adjoining countries as well, which can then have a basis for their own national climate-change adaptation policies.
The senior advisor will engage in policy advice, institutional and competency development of the Ministry of Marine Affairs in Jakarta with major focus on implementing the Sulu Sulawesi Marine Ecoregion Comprehensive Action Plan (SSME CAP) in the frame of the Coral Triangle Initiative. S/he will liaise and work closely with the Coral Triangle Initiative Secretariat, local government units, national and international partners to provide technical advice in natural resource governance mainly on Ridge-to-Reef Spatial Planning and in the implementation of the SSME CAP. The senior adviser will oversee and coordinate the project activities in Indonesia and will also be responsible for monitoring and reporting. This post includes frequent travels throughout the country and the Sulawesi Sea especially, as well as within SSME partner countries such as the Philippines and Malaysia.
The Senior Advisor reports directly to the Chief Advisor of the SSME project. The incumbent holds office at the Ministry of Marine Affairs in Jakarta and field office at Manado, Indonesia.
In carrying out his/her role, the Senior Advisor performs the following major functions/duties:
Professional Advice and Consultancy
- Provides technical guidance for partners and other stakeholders in the area of expertise (Integrated Coastal Management, Climate-relevant Spatial Planning, Biodiversity Conservation) through e.g.:
- design and conduct of interventions or approaches technical reports or concept papers
- analysis of external environment and trends and development of strategic options representation of GIZ or the project in relevant working groups and local and international meetings
Strengthens the performance capabilities of partners and other stakeholders through e.g.:
- exercises to guide them in the implementation of technically appropriate, economically viable and sustainable interventions and activities
- training and support of colleagues and staff in matters related to the field of expertise
Ensures quality of all project sponsored measures including technical design / supervision / implementation through e.g.:
- conceptualizing and implementing participatory processes in determining / setting success indicators and quality standards
- providing quality control for technical services
- ensuring the implementation of agreed and established monitoring and evaluation plans and frameworks
Information, Knowledge Management, and Public Relations
Ensures the documentation and utilization of technical expertise, lessons learnt and best practices through e.g.:
- monitoring, documentation and reporting of progress and results
- workshops on subject matter expertise or GIZ tools expertise
- contributions to publications, scientific technical papers and posters
- facilitates PR activities
Coordination and Management
Contributes to the overall management of the project through e.g.:
- establishing contacts and dialogues with stakeholders for needs analysis
- facilitation of project planning and implementation
- cooperating with other relevant development initiatives
General Corporate Tasks
Performs other tasks relevant to the job or organization unit when the need arises (e.g. assisting/ writing proposals); participates in task teams and other corporate entrepreneurial or strategy-linked endeavours
- Recognized expertise in the technical field (Marine Affairs, Marine Protected Areas and Fisheries)
- Demonstrated organization and project management skills
- Strategic in thinking: able to think long-term implications of approaches, decisions, and actions
- Ability to communicate and to relate with people of diverse cultures and at all levels of a hierarchical organization and constructively cooperate with colleagues
- Ability to transmit knowledge in a user-oriented way
- Results and performance oriented
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in coastal area management, fisheries, or any related environmental management (or its equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years of professional working experience in the field of coastal or environmental management
- Having worked with SSME and CTI related issues is an asset
- Background in monitoring and evaluation and working experience in aforementioned fields
- Must speak Bahasa
Contract period: beginning of 2013 – beginning of 2016, renewable according to need.
CV, Lamaran dan Informasi Lebih Lanjut, hubungi:
Kasubdit Jejaring, Data dan Informasi, Dit. KKJI, Ditjen KP3K
SSME Tri-National Committe
Direktorat Jendral Kelautan, Pesisir dan Pulau-pulau Kecil,
Kementerian Kelautan dan Perikanan
Gedung Mina Bahari 3, Lantai 10. Jalan Medan Merdeka Timur 16, Jakarta.
Telp/Fax: +6221 3522045